Saturday, May 15, 2010

Review: Burned

Burned
By: P.C. and Kristin Cast
ISBN: 1905654944 (9781905654949)

Series: House of Night
     1. Marked
     2. Betrayed
     3. Chosen
     4. Untamed
     5. Hunted
     6. Tempted
     7. Burned
     8. Awakened
     9. Destined
     10. Hidden
     11. Revealed
     12. Redeemed

New To Be Released In The House Of Night Series:
The Fledgling Handbook 101

Summary from GoodReads:
Zoey Redbird is the youngest High Priestess in House of Night history and is the only person – vamp or fledgling – that can stop the evil Neferet from raising all kinds of immortal trouble. And she might just have a chance if she wasn’t so busy being dead.

Well, dead is too strong a word. Stevie Rae knows she can bring her BFF back from her unscheduled va-cay in the Otherworld. But it’s going to take a lot more than hoping to bring Zoey back. Stevie Rae will have to give up a few secrets of her own . . .


Quote That Made Me Burst Out Laughing:
"..." = writing I removed from this section as so not to give away part of the story
"Some of this stuff gets confusing, and visual aids always help."... At the top of it he'd drawn a big, open umbrella. On one side of the umbrella he'd written LIGHT and on the opposite side, DARKNESS." ... "So under the force of Light I've listed: good... And under Darkness I have: evil...

"I see you have... placed in the middle,"...

"Yeah, along with onion rings, Hostess Ding Dongs, and my name," Aphrodite said. "Just what the hell does that mean?"

"Well, I don't think we've decided if ... is a force for Light or Darkness," Damien said.

"I added the onion rings and Ding Dongs," Jack said. When everyone just stared at him, he shrugged and explained, "Onion rings are deep-fried and fattening, but an onion is a vegetable. So aren't they good for you? Maybe? And, well, Ding Dongs are chocolate, but they have cream in the middle. Isn't that dairy and healthy?"

"I think you're brain-damaged," Aphrodite said.

"We added your name," Erin said.

"Yeah, 'cause we think you're like Rachel on Glee," Shaunee said. "Super annoying, but she has to be in the show 'cause sometimes she comes up with good stuff and kinda sorta saves the day."
(Yeah, I am a Gleek.
For those that don't know: its a term for someone with a love for the show Glee-
on Fox Tuesday nights or if you are like me, Hulu it.)

Review:
I really enjoy this series as a whole but I never really took anything away from it until this book. This book out of the whole series thus far is definitely the best. It showed the most growth of any of the characters. It pushed the limits and boundaries of the House of Night Universe. It really is a stunning piece of work and the Casts should be patting themselves on the back. Although this book is meant for young adult audiences it definitely can transcend and be adored by the adult audience.

There were many different parts to this story and you see things from many different angles which can seem disjointed but this story is seamless, it flows so well. I also love how they use traditional symbols and ideas and bring them into their modern world. I really enjoyed the idea of what a Warrior really is. The other great thing about this particular story is that you saw more about this female-centric world through the men/young men/boys rather than always through the women/young women/girls.

I think another reason why I love this book above all the others in this series is that the characters really matured and a lot of things were finally coming to fruition. In the other books of the series I sometimes tended to get annoyed and go "Why did you go and do that?!" but in this book it was more like "Wow! Go (insert "good" character name here)!". The others were still good but this one demands your attention. Overall this book gets a four and I definitely look forward to the next book.

1 comment:

Beth Negri said...

BahGlenn said...
The dialogue in this book seems real and funny, which is the best kind in my opinion. I always love works written in this fashion, SO much more enjoyable to read. Even when I write my own stuff, I try to use this method. Good job on the review.
May 21, 2010 at 2:26 AM