Saturday, April 9, 2016

Review: Iron Inheritance

Iron Inheritance
G. R. Fillinger
ISBN: 978-1530531974
Series: The Blood Artifacts: Book 1

Summary for the ebook edition via Amazon:
The ultimate power lies dormant in her blood…until she spills another’s.

When eighteen-year-old Evelyn Brooks is attacked by a man who can control demons, she finds out she is a Nephilim with angelic essence, and her only remaining family is killed.

In the turmoil and grief that follow, Evelyn discovers a world where the celestial and terrestrial are linked by two secret, angelic societies. She is pulled into their struggle and discovers that her own talents have the capacity to save and destroy.

Will she be able to control her new powers to save her friends? The boy she begins to love? Or will her longing for revenge blind her to the betrayal following her since day one?

Fast-paced and gripping, G.R. Fillinger’s thought-provoking fantasy explores the weakness needed to wield true power in the midst of overwhelming strength.

Review:
The summary that Amazon provides for this book is very much lacking. Yes this book is a new adult urban fantasy story but it is a very rich one. The characters in this book are fun, multi-dimensional and all around interesting. Evelyn Brooks also known as Eve is our protagonist (as if you couldn't figure that out) and she is accompanied by Ria, her best friend, and Nate, her guardian angel. As a child of the 90's I can't help but compare them to Buffy the Vampire Slayer's Scooby Gang. As time progresses they are joined by Josh (the love interest), Miranda (the artist), and Frederick (the lovable clown). Each character filled out an essential piece to the overall plot and story line. I am so enjoying that there was no lazy writing!

Speaking of the writing and it's style, I have to give a hand to G.R. Fillinger! I love the peppered in pop culture! It was just enough to be enjoyable without being over the top. While overtime this will age the book, I think it's a great detail. I wish some of the older books I have read had some references. I think it makes that universe just a tad richer. This kind of smart writing just pulled me in and didn't let up.

The universe much like in Harry Potter or Supernatural, is just like ours but not. In this book, angels, demons, and so much in between, play out the greatest battle there is, the one of good versus evil. I really enjoyed how the superhuman powers were explained by way of angelic essence and how free will could alter everything. You have to read this book to truly understand just how deep G.R. Fillinger took these concepts but its quite thought-provoking and enjoyable.

As a new adult we must discuss Eve's growth as a character. While she is fundamentally the same person from the beginning to the end, you can see how the circumstances she is brought through have weighed on her and started her metamorphosis. G.R. Fillinger played it smart by not jumping Eve's development in this first book as this is but the beginning of the series. I found the most growth of character can be seen in Ria, Eve's best friend. This was also smart because we can see a progression and a change without making it too out of turn. Ria shows a strength of character one does not at first expect from her. While she is seen as a force to be reckoned with since the first chapter, she doesn't really come into her own until later.

The romantic underpinnings of this story were extremely well done. I really enjoyed their complexity as they are not fully realized yet. This kind of romantic suspense is great. Nothing is worse than floozy characters who meet and are suddenly in a relationship (or more) ::cough:: Twilight ::cough::

One of the best things about this story is that even when you think you know what is going on, it turns on its end and you are left with really big questions. I thought I read enough stories to not be surprised about anything anymore but there is one part at the end that really surprised me. That's not to say that I didn't have inklings but just before the end I thought they were cleared up. Well... nope! Totally surprised me. Bravo!

I have to say I completely enjoyed this book and I can't wait until the next installment! This book has earned a five rating as not only was it a really good fun read but it made me think and it even surprised me. What more could any reader want! I would recommend this book to anyone with a curious nature who enjoys a good adventure story mixed up with a good dose of humor, and a sprinkling of romance.

2 comments:

Cherry Night said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cherry Night said...

Wow!!! Your review made me want to jump into this book! Sounds very riveting and exciting! Loved your analogy of the Scooby-doo gang!